We're here to answer your questions about VOCSN
VOCSN is first and only multi-function ventilator which integrates five separate devices including a critical care ventilator, 6 L/min portable oxygen concentrator, touch-button cough, hospital grade suction, and high-performance nebulizer into a single, 18-pound device with up to 9 hours of on board battery.
Any patient needing a ventilator plus an additional therapy may benefit from integrated respiratory care with VOCSN. The VOCSN critical care ventilator provides best in class invasive, non-invasive, and mouthpiece ventilation across a comprehensive set of modes and settings for pediatric and adult patients from hospital to home.
VOCSN requires a physician prescription for ventilation and one additional therapy, and can be obtained through a durable medical equipment (DME) company. It can be reimbursed under HCPCS code E0467 by Medicare, Medicaid, and Commerical Payers.
What is VOCSN?
The first and only multi-function ventilator.
VOCSN works from hospital to home for pediatric and adult patients and includes the following therapies:
- Ventilation: Critical care ventilator
- Oxygen: 6 L/min oxygen concentrator
- Cough: Touch button cough assist
- Suction: Hospital grade suction
- Nebulizer: High performance nebulizer
Is VOCSN Right For Me?
VOCSN works for pediatric or adult patients from hospital to home.
Patients needing a ventilator plus an additional therapy could benefit from integrated respiratory care with VOCSN.
- Neuromuscular Disease: ALS, Post Polio, and Muscular Dystrophies including Myotonic, Duchenne, Becker, and Limb-gridle
- Spinal Cord Injury: Complete and incomplete spinal cord injuries
- Impaired Lung Function: Lung Cancer, COPD, Emphysema, Cystic Fibrosis, and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)
- Pediatric Development Complication: Complications of Prematurity, Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD), Chronic Lung Disease (CLD), Tracheal Malacia
How Do I Get VOCSN?
Talk to your physician and home health company.
VOCSN requires a physician prescription and your durable medical equipment (DME) company to supply VOCSN in the home. VOCSN is reimbursable under HCPCS E0467 for Medicare, Medicaid, and Private Insurance. Please contact us to learn more about how to get VOCSN or fill out this form to receive a letter you can give to your physician to start a conversation about VOCSN.
Who is Using VOCSN?
Meet people enjoying the everyday mobility of VOCSN.
Patients and caregivers are benefiting from integrated respiratory care from hospital to home. Meet VOCSN users and explore their stories.
- Loa Griesbach: VOCSN Ambassador Loa Griesbach blogs about life with VOCSN.
- Pat Quinn: Co-Founder of the Ice Bucket Challenge, Pat is fighting ALS and using VOCSN.
- Brooks Howell: Learn how VOCSN enabled Baby Brooks to go from hospital to home.
Frequently Asked Questions
VOCSN is customizable to provide the specific therapies prescribed for each patient. VOCSN can be designed to include all five therapies or just the mix of therapies needed.
Commonly, patients may not need every therapy on day one. As a patient’s medical condition advances, therapies can be added at the time the patient is prescribed new therapies. Adding therapies may require sending your VOCSN to our offices in Washington to upgrade the physical hardware.
Patients who need a ventilator and one additional therapy (portable oxygen concentrator, cough assist device, suction, or nebulizer) typically benefit from VOCSN’s integrated design. Importantly, VOCSN is customizable, meaning that VOCSN can come in any configuration - patients can get all five therapies or just the mix of therapies needed. For example, a VOCSN-VC configuration includes Ventilation and Cough therapies only. VOCSN provides invasive and non-invasive ventilation. VOCSN is intended for pediatric through adult patients weighing at least 5 kg.
VOCSN can be used from the hospital to the home, including:
- Home care
- Home-based transport
- Emergency departments
- Step-down units
- Military hospitals
- NOTE: VOCSN is not MRI compatible
- Long-term acute care
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Long-term care/nursing homes
- Intra-hospital transport
- Inter-hospital transport
- Emergency medical services
- Military transport
VOCSN was designed by patients, caregivers, and a team of engineers who have spent their careers in ventilation. Some of the potential benefits we hear from users include:
- VOCSN weighs 70% less than all five traditional devices combined.
- Transporting one device with one set of accessories is easier than five devices, five power cords, and five sets of accessories.
- All five therapies are with you at all times. You don't need to go without oxygen, cough, suction, or nebulizer while traveling.
- VOCSN therapies are up to three times as energy efficient as existing technology. If you need to go all day, simply bring an extra set of batteries.
- VOCSN therapies are two to three times quieter than traditional technology. Less noise makes it easier to talk with friends, watch TV, and sleep soundly at night.
Easy to Use Touchscreen
- VOCSN offers an intuitive touchscreen
- The touchscreen makes it easier and less stressful to manage multiple therapies, monitors, and alarms, reducing the risk of mistakes.
Saves Time and Streamlines Care
- Caregivers can spend less time training and managing five different pieces of equipment. Less time switching between devices. Less time cleaning. This means more time communicating with and caring for patients.
Increases Patient Comfort
- VOCSN reduces the need to disconnect the patient from the ventilator, thereby reducing their anxiety and discomfort. Therapies are also easier and faster to administer.
Reduces Risk of Infection
- By using the same circuit for ventilation and cough, VOCSN may reduce the number of patient circuit disconnects, and consequently may reduce the risk of infection.
Increases Patient Compliance
- VOCSN monitors all five therapies, including how they are used and when. This data is easy to find and view. Monitoring patient use may help ensure patients actively use therapies as prescribed by their doctor.
- VOCSN makes it easier to administer each therapy in seconds rather than minutes. For example, during cough therapy the patient does not need to disconnect from the ventilator and therefore the therapy takes less time.
- By making therapies easier and less time consuming, patient compliance may improve.
Reduces Power Consumption & Operates on Batteries
- VOCSN is up to three times as energy efficient as existing technologies and uses only one power plug rather than five.
- The onboard batteries provide up to nine hours of battery power, giving patients greater flexibility and range to leave their homes.
- All five therapies can be run on batteries, so patients are no longer tethered to a power outlet.
- Backup power during emergencies and power outages for all five therapies.
Occupies Less Space
- VOCSN takes up 70% less space. Rather than five large devices crowding your room and piles of accessory boxes, VOCSN streamlines care into a single, compact system.
- Reduction in oxygen consumption and associated costs.
- VOCSN is the first system that allows ventilator patients to use a portable oxygen concentrator on the go, meaning they may not need to carry an oxygen tank.
- VOCSN can deliver high-pressure oxygen in pulsing dose mode to conserve oxygen and extend your gas source.
Reduces Charting Time
- The VOCSN Therapy Tracker stores up to 7,300 events including alarms, changes to control settings, and advanced tracking of each therapy. Users can view this information, at any time, in an easy-to-read chronological presentation.
Rather than several cumbersome devices, VOCSN is one:
- One device to Monitor
- One alarm to Silence
- One device to Transport
- One device to Charge
- One Power Supply to carry
- One device to Clean
- One Service Number to call
- One device to Learn
- One Touch to Operate
In the uncommon event that one of the five therapies stop working, VOCSN is designed keep the other functions operational to the extent that it can safely do so. For instance, VOCSN will continue providing ventilation in most cases if the cough therapy, oxygen concentrator, suction pump, or nebulizer breaks down.
To repair VOCSN, simply substitute your existing unit with another VOCSN. Rather than having to service five separate devices, at five different times, with five different manufactures, VOCSN keeps service and maintenance simple.
To read more about VOCSN Durability, please click here.
We are often asked "what is VOCSN pricing?" Unfortunately for VOCSN users and caregivers, every situation is unique and there is not a uniform answer. Currently, the rates for VOCSN vary based on insurance coverage, state, and home medical equipment providers (otherwise known as DME companies). Please fill out this form and we will discuss your situation with you.
To read more about VOCSN pricing, please click here.
Running ventilation only, the three on-board batteries (two removable batteries and one internal battery) will last up to 9 hours. As you use more therapies, the battery duration decreases. For example, VOCSN lasts approximately 6 hours if you are running both the ventilator and the oxygen concentrator at low settings. At very aggressive settings, including maximum oxygen settings (6 L/min) and frequent Suction and Cough therapies, VOCSN batteries may last closer to 3 hours.
VOCSN provides a comprehensive set of ventilation modes including pressure, volume, and hybrid modes of ventilation. We condensed dozens of modes advertised by other systems into a small list of traditional modes that allow you to customize the patient’s breathing through settings and controls.
VOCSN provides AC-Pressure, AC-Volume, SIMV-Pressure, SIMV-Volume, Bi-Level and Spontaneous modes, which can be used with various breath settings to deliver the equivalent of just about every common ventilation mode. For a full list of VOCSN ventilation modes, please reference the VOCSN Ventilation Modes Guide.
Oxygen can be delivered to the patient in several ways:
- Internal Oxygen Concentrator: Supplemental oxygen delivery can be controlled by adjusting the oxygen delivery settings on VOCSN (Pulsing Dose mode).
- External Low Pressure: Supplemental oxygen delivery is controlled by adjusting the external oxygen source. Can be used alone or to supplement the internal VOCSN oxygen concentrator.
- External High-Pressure: Oxygen delivery can be controlled by adjusting the oxygen delivery settings on VOCSN (FiO2 or Pulsing Dose mode).
VOCSN delivers Cough therapy in seconds using the same patient circuit, rather than minutes using multiple devices and circuits. When you initiate Cough therapy, VOCSN goes straight from ventilation breaths to cough breaths, and then back to ventilation breaths. VOCSN ventilation and cough breaths are comfortably timed to coincide with the patient’s natural breathing. Cough breaths also ventilate the patient; therefore, ventilation is uninterrupted when delivering cough therapy with VOCSN.
VOCSN features Breath Sync. Much like triggering a breath during ventilation, VOCSN allows the patient to comfortably trigger a cough during a natural moment in the breathing cycle. Patients spontaneously breathing on VOCSN can naturally trigger both ventilation and cough breaths. The Breath Sync feature can be turned on or off.
Yes. During Cough therapy, patients will continue to receive the set FiO2. If you’re providing oxygen in Pulsing Dose mode, oxygen is suspended temporarily during Cough therapy.
Touch Button Cough is designed to achieve six goals:
- Reduce Anxiety: Reduce patient anxiety by ensuring uninterrupted ventilation, because patients should not have to disconnect from their ventilator to cough.
- Save Time: Save time by providing Cough therapy in seconds rather than minutes.
- Reduce Risk of Infection: May reduce the risk of infection by eliminating the need to frequently disconnect the patient circuit.
- Increase Compliance: Increase the use of cough therapy by making it mobile and simpler to use.
- Humidity with Cough: Using the Humidifier Bypass, VOCSN is the first system to deliver humidified coughs to patients using heated circuits.
- Maintain Oxygen Saturation: Using external high-pressure sources, VOCSN is the first system to deliver cough therapy with supplemental oxygen during inhalation. When using the VOCSN oxygen concentrator, oxygen is paused during the cough therapy, however the therapy is completed in seconds, and thus decreases the risk of oxygen desaturation.
Most importantly, Touch Button Cough just makes coughing easier. Rather than using multiple devices and circuits, the Tough Button Cough system allows patients to use the same circuit for both Ventilation and Cough.