Switch Therapies Without Changing Circuits
The Ventec One-Circuit™ allows switching between therapies with the touch of a button. The redesigned valves make Touch Button Cough™ therapy possible and the integrated oxygen tube enables Oxygen Direct™. Rather than several cumbersome tubes connecting to separate devices, the Ventec One-Circuit™ eliminates clutter to create one easy-to-manage system for peace of mind.
ACTIVE CIRCUITS: The patent pending valve design supports cough and ventilation functions in a single circuit and combines the drive and sense lines into a single trilumen tube. Additionally, VOCSN uses advanced software technology to help prevent historical problems associated with condensation to optimize Vte sensing, accuracy, and triggering by purging condensation on every breath.
PASSIVE CIRCUITS: The Ventec passive circuit is light, small, and easy to use. Our unique passive valve is designed to close the leak during cough exsufflation, thus making Touch Button Cough™ possible without changing circuits.
It’s a Multi-Function Ventilator - and Much More
Get all five therapies or just the mix of therapies neededDOWNLOAD TECH SPECSWATCH VOCSN DEMO
VOCSN brings next generation technology, breathing comfort, and ease of use to ventilator patients.
The VOCSN internal oxygen concentrator and Oxygen Direct™ system deliver the equivalent of 6 L/min of oxygen. External oxygen sources can be connected when needed.
Touch Button Cough™ therapy can be activated in seconds, without changing the circuit.
The quiet hospital grade suction system that is easy to transport.
VOCSN records each medication use and turns off the nebulizer when the therapy is complete.
The VOCSN critical care ventilator provides invasive, noninvasive, and mouthpiece ventilation. Designed to work in hospital, institutional, transport, and home environments, VOCSN delivers a comprehensive set of ventilation modes and settings to meet patient needs. The advanced unified respiratory system combines responsive leak and circuit compensation as well as precision flow trigger controls to enable comfortable breathing and accurate therapy.
Ready for Hospital, Transport, and Home
Using a customized radial blower and advanced software, VOCSN meets the rigorous ISO 80601-2-12 international standard for critical-care ventilators.
Advanced Leak Compensation
With Leak+ technology, VOCSN automatically compensates for high flows and large leaks up to 175 L/min at 20 cmH2O. This reduces nuisance alarms and allows the use of more comfortable noninvasive masks.
Integrated Oxygen Blending and Monitoring
VOCSN includes an internal oxygen concentrator as well as inlets for low and high pressure oxygen sources. An onboard FiO2 monitor displays and tracks oxygen delivery and together with the onboard oxygen blender, allows you to set precise high pressure oxygen delivery. If external oxygen becomes disconnected, VOCSN activates an alarm and allows you to easily switch to the internal concentrator, providing an emergency backup source of oxygen.
VOCSN logs, graphs, and trends monitor values, frequency of therapy use, alarm activations, configuration changes, and more across all five therapies to facilitate actionable and informed treatment decisions and care plans, drive proactive interventions, control costs, and deliver seamless care across providers from hospital to home.
Typically only found in critical care ventilators, circuit compensation helps overcome lost volume in the patient circuit. This technology improves airflow delivery accuracy during volume ventilation, which is especially important for pediatric patients.
Download Ventilation Tech Specs (PG 7)
Download VOCSN Comparable Ventilation Modes
VOCSN can deliver the equivalent of 6 L/min of oxygen using the onboard internal oxygen concentrator.
The Oxygen Direct™ system uses an independent oxygen tube inside the circuit. This enables oxygen to be delivered directly to the patient in pulse-dose mode during the beginning part of the breath, precisely when the patient needs oxygen most.
The oxygen system is up to three times more efficient than stationary concentrators. This significantly decreases the size of the oxygen concentrator and maximizes battery life. Most importantly, it makes traveling and using oxygen easier.
Internal Oxygen Concentrator
The internal oxygen concentrator produces the equivalent of up to 6 liters per minute or up to 40 percent oxygen in adult patients. The redesigned pressure swing adsorption process and Oxygen Direct™ system mean more oxygen is generated using less battery power.
Onboard FIO2 Monitor
The VOCSN onboard FiO2 monitor verifies accurate oxygen delivery.
External Oxygen Sources
VOCSN may include low pressure and high pressure ports for external oxygen. If external oxygen becomes disconnected, VOCSN activates an alarm and allows you to switch to the internal concentrator, providing an emergency backup source of oxygen.
Integrated Oxygen Blender
VOCSN includes an integrated oxygen blender to set precise FiO2 delivery when using external high pressure sources.
Download Oxygen Tech Specs (PG 10)
By unifying ventilation, cough, and suction into one system, it now takes seconds instead of minutes to administer cough therapy with Touch Button Cough™. The Ventec One-Circuit™ features a patent pending high flow valve design, allowing patients to use the same circuit for ventilation and cough. Using the Cough + Suction feature, the suction is activated during the cough therapy to clear secretions. Patients using invasive ventilation can use the Secretion Trap™ to easily clear secretions from the circuit. Once the set number of cough cycles is complete, ventilation automatically resumes.
Touch Button Cough™: The VOCSN cough is activated with the touch of a button to make airway clearance easy. Patients remain connected to the ventilator at all times, and there is no need to disconnect circuits between uses. The system is designed to reduce the gaps in ventilation, decrease the risk of patient misconnection, and minimize exposure to the patient’s airway.
Advanced Cough Rise Time
The VOCSN uses an advanced rise time algorithm during cough. The system is designed to reduce the amount of mucus going back to the patient.
When Breath Sync is enabled, VOCSN monitors patient breathing and triggers a cough at a natural point in the breathing cycle. The technology allows the patient to transition gently in and out of the cough therapy and seamlessly return to ventilation.
Cough + Suction
When the Cough + Suction feature is enabled, VOCSN will automatically activate the suction therapy to facilitate easy secretion clearance.
Download Cough Tech Specs (PG 12)
The VOCSN high flow suction provides quiet and effective airway clearance. Working in conjunction with the Secretion Trap, suction can be used to clear secretions from the patient’s airway. VOCSN ensures consistent and precise vacuum pressure to quickly clear mucus. Plus, the suction system uses Ventec’s unique sound muffler, making it more than three times quieter than traditional suction machines.
Cough + Suction
VOCSN activates the suction system during the cough therapy. Caregivers can activate a cough, clear the mucus, and return to ventilation in less than one minute.
Travel Suction Canister
The 300 mL detachable travel canister allows suction on the go. This size also supports emergency responders and transport.
External Suction Canister Adapter
The external suction canister adapter connects to the side of VOCSN to enable suction therapy with VOCSN while connected to any third party external suction canister.
Ventec Secretion Trap
The suction system removes mucus from the circuit simplifying mucus management. The system allows invasive patients to remain connected to the same circuit during ventilation, suction, and cough therapies.
Consistent High Flow Technology
The three piston compressor pump provides consistent high flow suction. The VOCSN suction system is capable of generating greater than 35 L/min of flow at 450 mmHg to easily manage the removal of difficult secretions.
VOCSN provides an integrated 6 L/min nebulizer drive to make medication delivery seamless. VOCSN automatically compensates the airflow from the ventilator when the nebulizer drive is active to ensure accurate ventilation. The nebulizer can be battery operated for use on the go. Plus, VOCSN records data about each treatment and turns off the nebulizer once the therapy is complete.
Nebulizer Noise Muffler
The system uses Ventec’s unique sound muffler technology and is half the noise of traditional nebulizer systems.
The nebulizer automatically turns off following completed use.
Each use of the nebulizer, including frequency and duration, is recorded to help ensure medication compliance.
Frequently Asked Questions
VOCSN is customizable to provide the specific therapies prescribed for each patient. VOCSN can be designed to include all five therapies or just the mix of therapies needed.
Commonly, patients may not need every therapy on day one. As a patient’s medical condition advances, therapies can be added at the time the patient is prescribed new therapies. Adding therapies may require sending your VOCSN to our offices in Washington to upgrade the physical hardware.
Yes, as of January 1, 2019 CMS has established billing code E0467. Learn more about CMS reimbursement at www.VentecLife.com/E0467.
Our team is dedicated to providing integrated innovations in respiratory care. We will continue to listen to patients and clinical experts to respond to patient and caregiver needs. VOCSN is just the beginning.
Patients who need a ventilator and one additional therapy (portable oxygen concentrator, cough assist device, suction, or nebulizer) typically benefit from VOCSN’s integrated design. Importantly, VOCSN is customizable, meaning that VOCSN can come in any configuration - patients can get all five therapies or just the mix of therapies needed. For example, a VOCSN-VC configuration includes Ventilation and Cough therapies only. VOCSN provides invasive and non-invasive ventilation. VOCSN is intended for pediatric through adult patients weighing at least 5 kg.
VOCSN can be used from the hospital to the home, including:
- Home care
- Home-based transport
- Emergency departments
- Step-down units
- Military hospitals
- NOTE: VOCSN is not MRI compatible
- Long-term acute care (LTAC)
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Long-term care/nursing homes
- Intra-hospital transport
- Inter-hospital transport
- Emergency medical services
- Military transport
VOCSN was designed by patients, caregivers, and a team of engineers who have spent their careers in ventilation. Some of the potential benefits we hear from users include:
- VOCSN weighs 70% less than all five traditional devices combined.
- Transporting one device with one set of accessories is easier than five devices, five power cords, and five sets of accessories.
- All five therapies are with you at all times. You don't need to go without oxygen, cough, suction, or nebulizer while traveling.
- VOCSN therapies are up to three times as energy efficient as existing technology. If you need to go all day, simply bring an extra set of batteries.
- VOCSN therapies are two to three times quieter than traditional technology. Less noise makes it easier to talk with friends, watch TV, and sleep soundly at night.
Easy to Use Touchscreen
- VOCSN offers an intuitive touchscreen
- The touchscreen makes it easier and less stressful to manage multiple therapies, monitors, and alarms, reducing the risk of mistakes.
Saves Time and Streamlines Care
- Caregivers can spend less time training and managing five different pieces of equipment. Less time switching between devices. Less time cleaning. This means more time communicating with and caring for patients.
Increases Patient Comfort
- VOCSN reduces the need to disconnect the patient from the ventilator, thereby reducing their anxiety and discomfort. Therapies are also easier and faster to administer.
Reduces Risk of Infection
- By using the same circuit for ventilation and cough, VOCSN may reduce the number of patient circuit disconnects, and consequently may reduce the risk of infection.
Increases Patient Compliance
- VOCSN monitors all five therapies, including how they are used and when. This data is easy to find and view. Monitoring patient use may help ensure patients actively use therapies as prescribed by their doctor.
- VOCSN makes it easier to administer each therapy in seconds rather than minutes. For example, during cough therapy the patient does not need to disconnect from the ventilator and therefore the therapy takes less time.
- By making therapies easier and less time consuming, patient compliance may improve.
Reduces Power Consumption & Operates on Batteries
- VOCSN is up to three times as energy efficient as existing technologies and uses only one power plug rather than five.
- The onboard batteries provide up to nine hours of battery power, giving patients greater flexibility and range to leave their homes.
- All five therapies can be run on batteries, so patients are no longer tethered to a power outlet.
- Backup power during emergencies and power outages for all five therapies.
Occupies Less Space
- VOCSN takes up 70% less space. Rather than five large devices crowding your room and piles of accessory boxes, VOCSN streamlines care into a single, compact system.
- Reduction in oxygen consumption and associated costs.
- VOCSN is the first system that allows ventilator patients to use a portable oxygen concentrator on the go, meaning they may not need to carry an oxygen tank.
- VOCSN can deliver high-pressure oxygen in pulse dose mode to conserve oxygen and extend your gas source.
Reduces Charting Time
- VOCSN Multi-View logs, graphs, and trends monitor values, frequency of therapy use, alarm activations, configuration changes, and more across all five therapies to facilitate actionable and informed treatment decisions and care plans, drive proactive interventions, control costs, and deliver seamless care across providers from hospital to home.
Rather than several cumbersome devices, VOCSN is one:
- One device to Monitor
- One alarm to Silence
- One device to Transport
- One device to Charge
- One Power Supply to carry
- One device to Clean
- One Service Number to call
- One device to Learn
- One Touch to Operate
In the uncommon event that one of the five therapies stop working, VOCSN is designed keep the other functions operational to the extent that it can safely do so. For instance, VOCSN will continue providing ventilation in most cases if the cough therapy, oxygen concentrator, suction pump, or nebulizer breaks down.
To repair VOCSN, simply substitute your existing unit with another VOCSN. Rather than having to service five separate devices, at five different times, with five different manufactures, VOCSN keeps service and maintenance simple.
Yes. VOCSN can connect to both normally open and normally closed nurse call systems. Use the Ventec Life Systems Nurse Call Cable connected to the remote alarm port on VOCSN.
Yes. VOCSN exports 7,300 events including alarms, changes to control settings, and advanced tracking of each therapy including how each therapy was used and when. To download the logs, simply plug a USB into the back of the device and select “export logs” from the events menu. To learn more, please visit www.VentecLife.com/Multi-View.
Running ventilation only, the three on-board batteries (two removable batteries and one internal battery) will last up to 9 hours. As you use more therapies, the battery duration decreases. For example, VOCSN lasts approximately 6 hours if you are running both the ventilator and the oxygen concentrator at low settings. At very aggressive settings, including maximum oxygen settings (6 L/min) and frequent Suction and Cough therapies, VOCSN batteries may last closer to 3 hours.
VOCSN provides a comprehensive set of ventilation modes including pressure, volume, and hybrid modes of ventilation. We condensed dozens of modes advertised by other systems into a small list of traditional modes that allow you to customize the patient’s breathing through settings and controls.
VOCSN provides AC-Pressure, AC-Volume, SIMV-Pressure, SIMV-Volume, Bi-Level and Spontaneous modes, which can be used with various breath settings to deliver the equivalent of just about every common ventilation mode. For a full list of VOCSN ventilation modes, please reference the VOCSN Ventilation Modes Guide.
Oxygen can be delivered to the patient in several ways:
- Internal Oxygen Concentrator: Supplemental oxygen delivery can be controlled by adjusting the oxygen delivery settings on VOCSN (Pulse Dose mode).
- External Low Pressure: Supplemental oxygen delivery is controlled by adjusting the external oxygen source. Can be used alone or to supplement the internal VOCSN oxygen concentrator.
- External High-Pressure: Oxygen delivery can be controlled by adjusting the oxygen delivery settings on VOCSN (FiO2 or Pulse Dose mode).
VOCSN delivers Cough therapy in seconds using the same patient circuit, rather than minutes using multiple devices and circuits. When you initiate Cough therapy, VOCSN goes straight from ventilation breaths to cough breaths, and then back to ventilation breaths. VOCSN ventilation and cough breaths are comfortably timed to coincide with the patient’s natural breathing. Cough breaths also ventilate the patient; therefore, ventilation is uninterrupted when delivering cough therapy with VOCSN.
VOCSN features Breath Sync. Much like triggering a breath during ventilation, VOCSN allows the patient to comfortably trigger a cough during a natural moment in the breathing cycle. Patients spontaneously breathing on VOCSN can naturally trigger both ventilation and cough breaths. The Breath Sync feature can be turned on or off.
VOCSN includes a unique accessory called the Humidifier Bypass. The Bypass was invented to ensure the patient never has to disconnect from the ventilator or humidifier to receive Cough therapy.
The Humidifier Bypass connects directly to the humidifier water chamber enabling Touch Button Cough even when the patient is connected to a heated circuit with humidifier. The bypass allows humidified air to reach the patient, but also bypasses the humidifier water chamber during cough exsufflation, which prevents water damage to VOCSN.
Yes. During Cough therapy, patients will continue to receive the set FiO2. If you’re providing oxygen in Pulse Dose mode, oxygen is suspended temporarily during Cough therapy.
Touch Button Cough is designed to achieve six goals:
- Reduce Anxiety: Reduce patient anxiety by ensuring uninterrupted ventilation, because patients should not have to disconnect from their ventilator to cough.
- Save Time: Save time by providing Cough therapy in seconds rather than minutes.
- Reduce Risk of Infection: May reduce the risk of infection by eliminating the need to frequently disconnect the patient circuit.
- Increase Compliance: Increase the use of cough therapy by making it mobile and simpler to use.
- Humidity with Cough: Using the Humidifier Bypass, VOCSN is the first system to deliver humidified coughs to patients using heated circuits.
- Maintain Oxygen Saturation: Using external high-pressure sources, VOCSN is the first system to deliver cough therapy with supplemental oxygen during inhalation. When using the VOCSN oxygen concentrator, oxygen is paused during the cough therapy, however the therapy is completed in seconds, and thus decreases the risk of oxygen desaturation.
Most importantly, Touch Button Cough just makes coughing easier. Rather than using multiple devices and circuits, the Tough Button Cough system allows patients to use the same circuit for both Ventilation and Cough.
The Cough+Suction feature helps streamline the secretion clearance process. When enabled, Cough+Suction means Suction therapy automatically activates with Cough therapy and continues running for an additional 2 minutes to clear secretions.
No. VOCSN is unique and integrates five therapies into one device. Consequently, the integrated Ventec One-Circuit is necessary for VOCSN to function properly.
The potential benefits of the Ventec One-Circuit include:
- Accurate Ventilation: The Ventec One-Circuit is designed to work specifically with the VOCSN advanced compliance and resistance compensation algorithm.
- Cough Therapy without Changing the Circuit: The active and passive valves have been redesigned to allow patients to use one circuit for both ventilation and cough. Using the Ventec One-Circuit, patients can complete cough therapy in seconds, rather than minutes.
- Integrated Oxygen Tube to Deliver Oxygen in the first two thirds of the Patient’s Breath: The integrated oxygen tube inside the circuit reduces clutter and works together with the oxygen concentrator to deliver oxygen directly to the patient during the first two thirds of the patient’s breath.
- Smoothbore Tubing: Smoothbore tubing reduces resistance and the risk of turbulent flows inside the patient circuit. The smoothbore tubing helps to ensure laminar flows and comfortable breathing for the patient.
- Smaller Circuit Profile: The Adult Ventec One-Circuit is 19 mm in diameter, rather than the traditional 22 mm. The Ventec One-Circuits still use standard 22 mm cuffs to connect to traditional ventilator attachments, the patient experiences a lighter and more comfortable circuit for everyday use.
- In-Wall Heated Wire to Prevent Rainout: The heated wire is built in-wall for an even heat distribution, and is combined with VOCSN advanced purge technology. These technologies may minimize condensation in the circuit, reducing the risk of rainout with VOCSN.
VOCSN provides precise vacuum levels and consistent high flows that mirror in-wall suction systems in the hospital. The VOCSN suction system accurately controls pump speed to help ensure consistent suction performance. More importantly, the VOCSN three-piston compressor pump provides a consistent high flow that is typical of hospital-grade, in-wall systems. In contrast, typical portable suction systems use single-piston pumps that are not capable of providing consistent high flows, making it more difficult to clear secretions. The VOCSN suction system provides nearly 35% more flow than traditional portable suction systems at 450 mmHg.
VOCSN is designed to mirror in-wall suction systems used in hospitals rather than traditional portable devices. This means that VOCSN has a high flow suction system. Most clinicians overlook the flow rate when choosing a medical suction system. The flow rate is simply the volume of gas that the system can move per unit of time, generally expressed in L/min. If a suction pump does not have enough flow at the desired vacuum pressure, it may take longer than expected to complete the suction therapy. At a set vacuum pressure of 450 mmHg, VOCSN can deliver greater than 35 L/min (STPD). This is nearly 35% more than traditional portable suction systems.
Nebulizer cups designed to work with a 6 L/min flow will work with VOCSN Nebulizer therapy. Cups should be connected to the VOCSN nebulizer drive port, and added in-line with the Ventec One-Circuit proximal to the patient.
Yes. The ventilator automatically compensates for the increased flow from the nebulizer when the nebulizer therapy is activated. This means that flows through the patient circuit will automatically reduce by 6 L/min during nebulizer therapy to compensate for 6 L/min of flow added by the nebulizer, and will automatically increase patient circuit flows to their normal levels with the nebulizer therapy reaches the end of its set time. This helps to ensure accurate ventilation to the patient during medication delivery. Additionally, when VOCSN detects a high-pressure alarm, VOCSN will automatically adjust both the delivery from the ventilator and the nebulizer to increase patient safety. If using an external nebulizer source, Ventec recommends using an ultrasonic nebulizer that does not add flow into the ventilator circuit.